- 1/2 small broccoli cut into florets
- 1/2 small courgette trimmed and cut into diamond shapes
- 25 g baby corn cut into diamond shapes
- 5 asparagus spears cut into diamond shapes
- 25g mushrooms
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper cut in half, cored and cut into diamond shapes
- 11/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1/2 larger onion finely chopped
- 50g tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purees
- 10 g garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns crushed
- 1 tsp mustard paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds roasted and crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 15 g fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 21/2 green chillies de-seeded and finely chopped
- 71/2 g coriander (cilantro) finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Blanch the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
Blanch the courgette, baby corn and asparagus in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
Blanch the mushrooms in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
To make the red gravy, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and half of the crushed coriander and saute over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, or until the seeds start to crackle. Add the chopped onion and saute over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until light brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft. Add the tomato puree and cook until the oil separates out. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan(skillet), add the garlic and saute until light brown, then add the remaining crushed coriander seeds and the peppercorns and cool until golden brown. Add the blanched vegetables and stir-fry over medium heat.
Now sprinkle over the mustard paste, chilli powder, turmeric, roasted ground cumin, ground fenugreek, ginger and green chilies and stir-fry for a few minutes until the moisture has evaporated. Add the red gravy, increase the heat to high and stir-fry. Add the chopped coriander and garam masala then check and adjust the seasoning.
Transfer to a bowl, garnish with the extra coriander and serve hot.